Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reason 280

Irony. The first time I remember explicitly learning about irony was in a middle school english class, although I'm sure I had unknowingly been on the receiving end of the cruel literary device many times prior to that lesson. Mrs. Moeschler, my inspiring Language Arts teacher, confided to the twenty pubescent girls in my class that she had recently searched frantically in her purse for a pen to write out a check at the grocery store, but instead of pulling out a writing implement, she extracted a slender feminine hygiene product, completely mortifying the young male cashier. According to Mrs. M, irony was a result or occurence that was the opposite of what was expected - in her case, a tampon instead of a classic Bic. Not the best example, but it seemed to resonate in my 12 year-old brain. Since that day in 7th grade I've experienced my fair share of irony (and not in a puffy kitty cat t-shirt kind of way like all the hipsters hanging out in Seattle), cultivating almost an appreciation for those unexpected awkward moments. In fact, irony came knocking at my door just last night. Remember the man I mentioned I was dating a few posts ago? Well, we finally locked lips the other night and it was the complete opposite of sexy. Both of us were nervous and awkward and there was zero chemistry, despite the fact that our compatibility is off the charts. I had a sneaking suspicion that sparks wouldn't fly, but still held out hope I had found the lid to my pot as if my life was a cheesy sitcom or something. To ease some of the disappoint I assumed my date felt (because who wouldn't want to make out with me?!), I delivered a sweet card to his door two days later that contained a list titled "Things I Totally dig About You." Originally, I was going to call it "Things That Matter More Than Making Out With You" - this, in retrospect, probably should've tipped me off to the fact that I was completely ambivalent about doing unspeakable acts with this guy. Also, not a single item on the list reference physical traits; they were things I would appreciate about any cool friend. The night after the card delivery the boy and I went for a run around Greenlake, followed by a stop for frozen custard (gotta' replenish those lost calories!), and he confessed that, while he appreciated the card and thought it very sweet, his feelings for me weren't nearly as strong - he just didn't feel any physical connection. Ouch. And that, my friends, is what we call irony, the story of my life. So, Jason, you can definitely count on me to empathize when you step in a big ol' pile of irony or the unexpected smacks you in the face. I'll even tolerate a short pity party if it will make you feel better. Just promise me you won't attempt to write a song about it. The genius of Alanis can never be surpassed...don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment