Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Reason 240

Lifelong learning. This morning after I read a few sections of the newspaper, watched Obama make his very first presidential morning talk show appearance, and then did some stimulating professional development around adolescent literacy (party at my house!), I realized that no matter how old I get (and I'm getting up there), I will always be a student. Whether in school or not, my brain is constantly trying to soak up new information, enouraging me to reflect on the crazy world around me and my place in it. Sure, I stay abreast of current events by skimming articles in the Seattle Times, but, despite being a reading teacher, I'll be the first to admit that I find informational text extremely boring and would much rather get my news from Jon Stewart and his gang of pundits. Unlike you, Jason, who seems to be able to teach himself new skills like piano-playing and puppeteering through a hybrid of monk-like concentration and osmosis, I go where the action is.When it comes to learning I am all about taking classes and, boy, have I taken some doozies over the years. Arts and crafts (with emphasis on the craft portion of that duo) has always been appealing to me and since middle school I have paid people good money to teach me how to sew an extremely hideous black and white polka dotted outfit, knit ridiculously long scarves, crochet an endless supply of potholders, stamp and emboss homemade stationary, bedazzle album pages with a money-sucking pasttime called scrapbooking, and, my personal favorite, dye my own reeds to weave baskets (not underwater, sadly). I have also learned (and then promptly forgotten) basic American Sign Language, the nuts and bolts of independent filmmaking, and how to get up enough courage to sing in front of complete strangers, not to mention all of the workshops I have taken to stay current in my profession. Next month I am taking a rustic bread baking and ice cream making class (not at the same time), and a few days ago I was schooled by Inga Ingenue, a local burlesque dancer, in the art of teasing an audience with fluffy boas and silky, elbow length gloves. Huh, when it comes to expanding my intellectual horizons, I guess I'm a bit of a whore. Anyway, I am almost always up for new learning experiences, Jason, so if you have a yen for yo-yo tricks or a desire for divination, you can count on me to dig up a class that caters to your needs and then sign the both of us up for it. Life is short and we might as well learn all we can while we're here, especially if it involves a little bumping and grinding in heels and glittery accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment