Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reason 148

Grading homework. Looking at the giant stack of vocabulary worksheets teetering on the edge of my TV tray can only mean one thing - it's Tuesday. Four years ago I created a vocabulary program for my students that actually reflects what they read, as opposed to a random list of academic words I think they should know because they happen to be twelve. Any time a kid comes across an unknown word in whatever they are reading, she writes it down and then shows me at least 5 words on Friday. Each student shares one word from their list with the class, all the words are defined, and then eight are chosen as that week's vocabulary words to learn. Racing to find words in the dictionary, wearing silly hats, and singing portions of the lesson make Fridays highly entertaining, as well as educational, and students often say the word collection activity is one of their favorites. In order to learn how to use the words, students complete a double-sided worksheet in which they define the word, provide a synonym of it, draw a picture of what the word means, and draw a true oppositie (no, rocks and potatoes don't count as antonyms, Thomas!). Unfortunately, all of those worksheets result in me hunched over on my couch for two hours every Tuesday night, perusing 32 boxes per page almost 150 times. Suffice it to say, I loathe Tuesdays now. Jason, if you ever have a burning desire to correct some 6th grade vocabulary homework, I would be happy to foist a stack or two of worksheets into your lap. Since you are quite the logophile yourself, I fully trust you'll know the meanings of all the words (quick, what does coruscate mean?) and can provide positive feedback or criticism at the top of each page. If you stay focused and whip through the whole batch, we can reward ourselves by chowing down on some bowls of popcorn while grooving to "Glee." I would definitely like Tuesdays a whole lot more if you were part of my weekly vocabulary routine. If you're really lucky I might even let you write some quizzes!

No comments:

Post a Comment