Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Friday, April 16, 2010

Reason 136

Movie theater manners. Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have a father who fostered a love of films and a respect for the theater-going experience in his only daughter. We went to the local cineplex almost every other weekend and years later I can still envision specific theaters where we saw Stand By Me, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Supergirl (which we took our new German neighbor to - what a way to say "Welcome to America!"). There is something very special about seeing a top-notch movie in a theater, enveloped in darkness and surrounded by other people who are laughing along with you, especially at the randomly funny parts; it truly is one of the fastest ways to generate that sense of camaraderie and community among strangers that has become harder and harder to find. Because I value this experience I try not to ruin it for others by texting during the film, talking to my neighbor, leaving my cell phone ringer on, dropping candy or soda on the floor...you get the idea. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to movie theater etiquette. Tonight my mom and I saw Date Night, which was hilarious and definitely worth paying the hefty non-matinee price. The movie, however, would have been infinitely more enjoyable if the two women behind me hadn't tried to guess the name of every actor that popped up on the screen (Hey, it's Mark Ruffalo!), compared the book club scene to their own literary gang, or squealed "that was funny!" every time Tina Fey made a witty comment. Jason, you will never have to endure running commentary or a poke in the arm followed by a loudly whispered "What's going on?" when we soak up some cinematic screen time together. Be warned though - I also won't hesitate to fetch the usher if you are distracting those around us with your incessant chatter or obnoxious popcorn gnashing. In fact, I may pretend I don't even know you. If I spend a whopping ten bucks on a movie I expect to get my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment